Monday, June 30, 2008

No Child Left Inside

This is an American initiative, I heard about it through the Earth Day Network. As a bit of a translation for Aussies, it is a play on the Bush policy No Child Left Behind. This is what makes complete sense to me and why I get so frustrated at the limited exposure my students (and heaps of kids in government and catholic schools in big cities and suburbia in Victoria) get to the natural environment.

There are great programs (CERES Sustainability programs, Waste Wise (now ResourceSmart) and the Gould League) out there, but what I hear from primary school teachers is: it is not enough. Teachers are still time-poor, resource-poor and support-poor. The programs are often underfunded, which means they are more expensive for schools. Together with RIDICULOUS bus prices, it is challenging to organise excursions to even close by environmental education centers.

So, with that negative tirade aside, let me introduce this little bit of sunshine: it was made by the Earth Day Network and it reminds me that I am not alone in thinking kids need to get OUT of the classroom:

Get 'Em Outside is on the In The Classroom Channel
http://www.earthdaytv.net/

1 comment:

Patrick O'Toole said...

This is very interesting. Would like to hear comments about carbon credits.
Will this be taught to children ?
Climate change- is it too frightening for children ?
Are city children aware of issues related to the environment - such as water, or lack of it ?